Today let’s talk about Zendesk features. Then, decide if it’s a good fit for your business.
There are many customer service tools out there, but a few of them grab the spotlight. Zendesk is the name that comes to most people’s minds. But it’s far from the only solid solution in this helpdesk category.
This article will help you find out the answers.
What is Zendesk?
Zendesk is a feature-rich service desk solution as well as a SaaS customer experience and customer engagement platform. They proclaim to be “something for everyone” and can be flexible enough to fulfill whatever you need.
Zendesk offers tons of features and add-ons. The question is, does Zendesk have all the features you’ll want in 3 months or 3 years from now?
Let’s take a look.
Zendesk’s key features
This customer service software giant offers 9 different products: Zendesk Support, Zendesk Support Suite, Zendesk Chat, Zendesk Explore, Zendesk Guide, Zendesk Talk, Zendesk Sell, Zendesk Gather, and Zendesk Sales Suite.
Each product has different pricing plans, which also comes with different ticket management features.
To make your life easier, below are three key tools Zendesk offers:
Some people call Zendesk “the godfather of help desk tools” because their ticketing system is full of features.
- Convert phone, chat, email, and social media requests into tickets.
- Centralize all tickets from disconnect channels into one place.
- Manage and work on support tickets.
- Create personal ticket views.
- Support conditional and custom ticket fields.
- View the activity log and the name of the agent handling it.
- Support reporting and dashboards.
Zendesk allows you to add chat to your website and talk with customers in real-time.
- Reach out to a customer with a chat to guide them to the checkout process.
- Collect contact information with pre-chat forms.
- Automate simple tasks with chatbots.
- Support performance dashboards.
Like many other help desk solutions, Zendesk offers you features to build a self-service support system like FAQs and community forums.
- Create, organize, and share articles.
- Support pre-made templates.
- Over 40 languages are available.
Now that you get an overview of what Zendesk offers. Let’s move on to the next section to understand why many eCommerce merchants are looking for Zendesk alternatives (despite their comprehensive list of capabilities).
4 biggest drawbacks of Zendesk
Before going into detail, let’s put this straight: Zendesk is great at what they do.
But they aren’t great at whatever they do. Here's why:
1. Complicated pricing plans
Since Zendesk offers different tools with different pricing, various plans, and many product types, their pricing plans are much more complicated. It’s a huge problem, especially for first-time end users.
Unless you know exactly what you’re looking for, you’ll be overwhelmed with their pricing page. Read our detailed post on what’s going on with Zendesk pricing.
2. Pay more to receive better support
As explained in our analysis of Zendesk pricing, Zendesk views customer support from their team as a “premium” feature.
That means the more you pay, the better support you’ll get. For example, if you use the Essential Support plan, you get chat support only.
But the moment you upgrade your plan from Essential to Professional, Zendesk will support you via chat, email, and phone.
Perhaps this is one of the main reasons why so many Shopify merchants leave Zendesk. And don’t take out words for it. Read Zendesk Support app’s reviews on Shopify App Store, and you’ll see tons of this kind of review:
3. Unintuitive user interface
Okay, Zendesk offers every possible feature. But let’s be honest, you won’t ever use all those features.
In writing this article, I signed up for a Zendesk account. The onboarding flow took a while to complete.
Because of its feature overload, I felt a bit overwhelmed at first glance and had to take some time to get familiar with the app, which increases my learning curve. I can honestly tell you that Zendesk has the most complicated UI out there.
All these dashboards, sections, and buttons, etc. will take up your screen space every moment. And, it’s unlikely that as an eCommerce merchant, you’ll need even half of them.
Besides, Zendesk users often complain about how inconvenient it is to use the product. As an admin, you can assign agents, but that has a downside. Agents need to depend on you to create views and canned responses that make work easy for them.
Also, whenever you or your agents take action on a ticket (for example, create a ticket), Zendesk will inform you via email.
Without simple features like notifications, agents need to go back to cluttered email inboxes, which creates a huge distraction and waste of time.
4. Lack of tight integration with ecommerce platforms
To make Zendesk work for your Shopify store, you have to:
- Install Zendesk app in your Shopify store
- And, install Shopify in your Zendesk account
The reason is simple: Zendesk isn’t built for eCommerce.
When to choose Zendesk
Zendesk can be an excellent choice if you:
1. Want a robust enterprise helpdesk system
Zendesk is great for enterprises that want to improve customer experience and strengthen customer relationships. It’s because they offer products and services that justify their high price tags, including multiple ticket forms, AI-powered answer bot, CSAT Ratings, business rules (SLA), and multi-brand.
2. Want complex reporting
Zendesk thrives as an enterprise product—and enterprise organizations need advanced reporting and analytics. They even have a separate product called Zendesk Explore just for reporting and analytics.
3. Want more integrations
Zendesk has more than 1000 integrations (i.e., Salesforce, Jira, and Slack) grouped into many categories like IT & project management and call center. If you’re just running an eCommerce store or a small business, those integrations only distract you.
Now you know if you need Zendesk.
Whether you should choose it or not depends on what you want.
Do you want a ticketing system exclusively built for eCommerce? Or do you want a “one-size-fits-all” help desk and CRM platform that is more tailored to non-ecommerce businesses?
In other words, you get what you pay for. You just have to decide what you want to pay for.
Why choose Gorgias?
We know your online customers reach out to you with questions about the products you offer, their orders, return request, refund issues, and more. They might not just email you but also send you a message on Facebook or Instagram.
We understand your customers sometimes prefer to get a quick answer by having a chat on your website or even switch to phone to have a conversation with you. They want to know you’ll get back to them soon.
That’s why we:
- Have only one core product: our eCommerce help desk software Gorgias.
- Fully reinvest in the platform we power, allocating all resources to maintain the best eCommerce customer service solution in the market.
- Develop a solution that helps you do your job, i.e., talking with your customers, satisfying them, and selling more. We don’t give you another thing you have to take much time to learn before you can use it.
- Put simplicity and ease-of-use as two of our core values. We keep Gorgias friendly and straightforward as much as possible.
But simplicity doesn’t mean Gorgias isn’t powerful. Here are four things that make Gorgias different from Zendesk.
access to Gorgias to prepare for your most profitable BFCM ever.
1. An exclusive help desk for ecommerce merchants
We also make it easy for you to show your love to your customers. They’ll never have to go through a login portal to get help or try to dig through their email for a ticket number. Because Gorgias’ email looks and feels exactly like email to your customers.
No corporate-looking templates, and no annoying auto-responses clogging up customers’ inbox every time they send a reply to one of your emails. Just the simple, personal experience of regular email.
We don’t ask your customers to “please type your reply above this like.” We take a more human approach to support by treating your customers like people, not tickets.
Besides, with Gorgias, you can also:
- Create macros for support requests to respond to your customers faster. They save you the time and effort of manually responding to multiple customers with the same issue. Macros can perform tasks like interesting response text, changing assignees, or setting status.
- Create powerful automation rules to improve workflow and customer satisfaction. For example, you can set up shipping status tickets. So each time you receive a message asking about an update on delivery, that ticket will be automatically tagged!
- Perform Shopify actions from Gorgias such as duplicate, edit, and cancel orders. No need to switch screens over and over again. That also helps you avoid giving full access to support agents to Shopify.
- Connect multiple Shopify stores to your Gorgias account. Integrate all the support email addresses of each store and their social media accounts into one account in Gorgias.
Features in Zendesk take screen space and distract you from doing your job. But keeping Gorgias easy to use is our highest priority. It’s designed for ecommerce merchants who will have to stare at it all day, every workday.
2. Machine learning that streamlines your customer service
We understand every support team’s workflows are unique. That’s why we take advantage of machine learning to help you enable team collaboration, enhance your work process, and accelerate efficiency.
- Auto-assign support tickets to available users with rules
- Intent detection to automotive repetitive tasks like shipping/status, refund/request, exchange/request, order/damaged, order/cancel, and more.
- Sentiment detection to create a human touch with customers.
- Macro suggestions to help you pick the right template answer and give customers faster responses.
3. View sharing that allows you to share views with anyone
We understand that customer support requires collaboration, since different tickets get resolved differently.
Sometimes, a ticket's resolution may depend on more than one agent or team, like Technical or Marketing. Other times, you don’t want to avoid overwhelming your new agent by giving them a friendly view.
View sharing will fulfill these needs. It allows you to create public views, shared views, and private views with team members or clients.
And the best part is this fantastic feature is available for all Gorgias plans.
4. We actually care about all our customers
Our world-class support team is always looking forward to helping you. Chat, email, or phone—you’re given multi-channel support regardless of which plan you’re using. We’re delighted to work with you throughout partnership with us.
And by support, we mean you’ll talk with real people, not some kind of chatbots. We also listen to your request and consider adding it to our app.
That’s what makes a lot of eCommerce merchants switch from Zendesk to Gorgias and stay with us. But don’t take out words for it.
Switch to Gorgias now!
While Zendesk offers diverse pricing plans and enormous features, it’s far from being a perfect helpdesk tool for online businesses.
So why invest in a tool like that when you get an over the top amazing customer service solution dedicated to eCommerce like Gorgias?
In fact, Gorgias has almost all of Zendesk’s ticketing features (and better) without skyrocketing your credit card bills. You can reduce resources, simplify your customer support process, and sell more with your store than you did before. You don’t have to sacrifice anything when switching from Zendesk to Gorgias.
Ready to give Gorgias a try? Make the switch to Gorgias with a couple of clicks. Or check out our buyout program and get full